Mold, in general, is not dangerous, however it can be when it proliferates and/or produce toxins. But did you know that you do not always need to call a remediation contractor when you spot mold in your home? According to EPA or the Environment Protection Agency, a homeowner can handle the mold remediation process themselves if the mold is not more than 10 square feet.
Most people do not actually realize how serious of a threat mold can be. Although illnesses caused by it are becoming more and more of a problem, symptoms of mold exposure are often taken lightly, most even assume that these symptoms are just from a cold or hay fever.
Mold on walls should not be a cause of panic. Indeed, mold can be a health threat and structural hazard, but as long as you know how to remove mold from walls, you’ll be all right. Mold-infested walls are usually easy to treat. If the infested wall is non-porous, you can easily remove the mold with a wet cloth and/or a mold-killing solution. If it is porous, however, it is likely that you will have to cut away the mold-infested area and replace it.
Black mold, or Stachybotrys chartarum, is a toxic species of mold that can cause severe symptoms and life-threatening health problems that includes breathing problems, mental impairment, and internal organ damage. That’s why it is very important to determine whether or not the mold in your home is toxic.